The Leatherman Wave is the ideal multi-tool for survival. The combination of blades and tools fit so many emergency situations. While it's a little large for Stage 1 essentials pouches, it should be one of the first items you purchase for your go-bag.
This one tool can aid in your activities in most of the survival priorities. It can help you build shelter, prepare food, administer first aid, prepare fuel for burning, repair other gear, cut cordage, and so much more. It has just the right selection of tools to keep its weight minimized while providing the best functions.
We've tested a number of multi-tools for survival and the Wave wins in so many categories.
- 01 Needlenose Pliers
- 02 Regular Pliers
- 03 Premium Replaceable Wire Cutters
- 04 Premium Replaceable Hard-wire Cutters
- 05 Electrical Crimper
- 06 Wire Stripper
- 07 420HC Knife
- 08 420HC Serrated Knife
- 09 Saw
- 10 Spring-action Scissors
- 11 Ruler (8 in | 19 cm)
- 12 Can Opener
- 13 Bottle Opener
- 14 Wood/Metal File
- 15 Diamond-coated File
- 16 Large Bit Driver
- 17 Small Bit Driver
- 18 Medium Screwdriver
What We Like
- Survival Fit - If we could have 1 tool to take into an emergency, this would be it. It covers so many needs directly and helps create or repair many other survival tools.
- Sturdy - Leatherman uses 420HC Stainless Steel for its products. It holds up as well as any elite multi-tool.
- Locks - They finally use easy-release blade/tool locks for all of the tools.
- Blades - There are 4 blades honed for specific function: straight blade, serrated blade, saw, file.
- Pliers - The pliers include needlenose, regular, and wire cutter functions. I use the pliers as much as any other tool.
- Drivers - The drivers work on a number of screw head sizes, plus they're reversible for phillips or straight-edge.
- Metal - The 420HC Stainless Steel has never rusted, cleans easily and holds up to some pretty rigorous activity.
Tips and Recommendations
- Use as intended - while the multi-tool is sturdy, use the individual tools wisely. The blade work great as blades but not so well as levers.
- Warranty - Leatherman takes their warranty very seriously. They've replaced blades for us when damaged.
- EDC - some people can justify a multi-tool as EDC but it's too heavy for us. Carry the Freestyle daily and keep the Wave handy for additional functions.
- Multi-tool Tips - check out our article on multi-tool tips.